PSC will be celebrating its 75th anniversary by recognizing 75 moments with our clients, employees, projects, and communities that helped shape our firm since 1945. Follow along on our social media channels with hashtag #75moments throughout 2020. 

29. University Medical Center

Social_Images29

University Medical Center (UMC) serves as the academic teaching hospital for the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center and provides high-demand healthcare while supporting healthcare education in West Texas. PSC’s relationship with UMC began in the early 2000s with a facilities master plan that would help UMC meet regional needs for additional services. Upon approving the plans, UMC again partnered with PSC to realize its implementation.

UMC added two floors to the facility, which PSC built on top of the occupied, operating hospital without major disruptions to patient care. PSC also completed an expansion to the Southwest Cancer Center, reinventing cancer care by allowing UMC to expand their services and focus, and the University Medical Center Children’s Institute. In 2012, UMC and PSC completed the East Tower expansion, giving UMC a prominent four-story facility. PSC completed the third floor in 2015, adding universal care beds to support growth, and the fourth floor in 2019, which added a state-of-the-art operating room system.

This enduring relationship has helped UMC meet the growing demand for medical education in West Texas as well. The facilities provide superior patient care as well as spaces for education and engaging collaboration. PSC also finished UMC’s business center, which consolidates the health system’s business support departments and IT infrastructure in one location, improving connectivity and adding a 3,000 square feet data center to support UMC in its mission of “providing safe, high quality care to all.”

28. BORGER COMMUNITY – 1960s

Social_Images28

Steeped in a storied history, this boomtown began with the discovery of oil in the region. Texas Rangers had to be summoned twice to restore order during the infancy of this Texas panhandle city. First to develop a drilling method that greatly improved the construction of oil wells, this technology was adapted for use in water wells and is still widely used. Borger was instrumental in the creation of Canadian River Municipal Water Authority. A. A. Meredith resigned as Borger City Manager in 1952 to promote the creation of this major, regional water supplier.

The enduring relationship with the Borger community also includes Borger ISD, which has worked with PSC for nearly two decades. It began with the passage of the first school bond in 58 years and encompasses 17 separate K-12 projects. Key projects include Gateway & Crockett  Elementary Schools, the first LEED® Certified School west of the I-35 corridor, and the recently completed Bulldog Stadium improvements.

PSC’s first project with the City of Borger, over 25 years ago, was a lead abatement and repainting project for a one million gallon elevated water storage tank. That relationship has developed so intently that all but one of PSC’s sectors have provided services to Borger. The Borger Northwest Well Field won a Gold Medal in Engineering Excellence from ACEC Texas and received ACEC National Recognition in Washington D.C. This historically significant project was Borger’s largest infrastructure project.

Exceptional client, exceptional services, exceptional success — for Borger and PSC. The Borger community truly embodies the PSC mission statement of Building Community by creating inventive, relevant built environments together.

27. LEADERSHIP ACADEMY

Social_Images27

The first PSC Leadership Academy class was 2010-11 and included principals, associates and team leaders. Leadership Academy was created with the purpose of exposing existing and emerging professionals to business leadership and management concepts that are best suited for PSC’s success and consistent with the culture PSC strives to develop.

At the time, PSC had reorganized into sectors to better utilize PSC’s overall expertise rather than the specialties of exclusive offices, so Leadership Academy also had the intent of equipping leadership across office locations. The program is a concentrated curriculum and forum that requires interactive participation, advanced preparation and the completion of a class project. To date, there have been 132 graduates. The current class has 14 participants who will graduate in 2020.

26. ALBUQUERQUE OFFICE OPENS IN 2016 WITH GORDON ENVIRONMENTAL

Social_Images26

In 2016 Albuquerque-based Gordon Environmental Inc. (GEI) merged with Parkhill, Smith & Cooper Inc., giving PSC its ninth office location. The addition of GEI’s impressive portfolio of work and outstanding reputation gives PSC’s New Mexico presence a considerable boost. GEI adds their highly respected and sought-after solid waste engineering expertise to PSC’s strong solid waste program as well as a broad base of private, municipal and other governmental clients. PSC’s growing presence in New Mexico prompted the move with this well-known and innovative solid waste engineering firm. The addition of GEI with PSC’s MSW expertise results in one of the premier solid waste engineering firms in the southwest.

25. Lubbock ISD

Social_Images25

Lubbock ISD and PSC have worked together for the last 75 years. This includes minor paving projects, all of Lubbock ISD’s water wells for irrigation systems, and projects completed by Atcheson, Cartwright and Associates prior to the company merging with PSC in 1975. Notable projects include Monterey High School (1955) and Honey Elementary School (1983).

Lubbock ISD has teamed with PSC on several school bond projects over the years and including the last two bond programs in 2010 and 2018. PSC has designed several Lubbock ISD facilities including the newest elementary school in North Lubbock that will begin construction this month. Other recent projects include PlainsCapital Park at Lowrey Field, Jayne Anne Miller Elementary School, and two prototype elementary schools: Roy E. Roberts Elementary and Centennial Elementary.

24. ENVIRONMENTAL

Social_Images24

For 75 years, PSC’s primary focus has been and continues to be, to develop long-term working relationships with its clients. PSC’s experience in Environmental engineering services includes all disciplines required to fully support both municipal and private solid waste engineers and geoscientists. The philosophy is to partner the firm’s innovative, comprehensive, multidiscipline practice and dedicated team members with our clients’ solid waste management team for the purpose of helping them identify and address their current and future development needs.

PSC’s long history in permitting solid waste facilities dates back to the mid-1970s. All that dramatically changed when the EPA promulgated Subtitle D in 1993. This change required a dramatic shift and more extensive engineering. Since that time, PSC has developed and devoted an entire team to Municipal Solid Waste engineering, planning and permitting that serves all of its clients. The firm’s Environmental Sector has developed a strong working relationship with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality management, New Mexico Environmental Department (NMED), and staff engineers.

23. ADDED SURVEY – 2015

Parkhill, Smith & Cooper has come a long way from using traditional surveying equipment like this transit that co-founder Gordon Parkhill is shown operating in the firm’s early years.
Parkhill, Smith & Cooper has come a long way from using traditional surveying equipment like this transit that co-founder Gordon Parkhill is shown operating in the firm’s early years.

The principles of land surveying have not changed over the years, but technology certainly has. Projects that would have taken a three-man crew over a week to perform can in some cases be completed by one technician. Before GPS, scanners, drones or electronic distance measurement, surveyors relied on optical instruments. In the 1940s, surveyors would have used theodolites, transits compasses and steel chains or tapes to measure and lay out tracts of land. Contour maps were created with dumpy levels or plane tables.

Parkhill, Smith & Cooper has come a long way since implementing survey services in January 2015. Surveying is reality capture, and drones are bringing a new era into surveying. Terrestrial laser scanning is another technology that is quickly changing the way field data is collected and analyzed. Laser scanners can create very accurate point cloud models of complex sites. The innovative 3-D scan survey of the Texas School for the Deaf (TSD) – one of the largest 3D scans completed in Texas – resulted in 3.76 billion points of information collected across the more than 60-acre campus. ACEC Texas chose Parkhill, Smith & Cooper’s 3D scan survey of the Texas School for the Deaf campus as the gold medal recipient for the 2017 Engineering Excellence Awards in the surveying and mapping category.

22. AUSTIN OFFICE OPENS

Social_Images22

Established in 2015, PSC’s Austin office got off to a quick start when clients like Austin ISD, the City of Cedar Park, and the Texas Facilities Commission contracted PSC to provide a range of architecture, mechanical, electrical, and civil engineering services for their projects. The office maintains its strong ties to K-12 and Higher Education design, but it houses a diverse group of professionals in Education, Community, Aviation, and Healthcare. The Austin office demonstrates the value of PSC’s multidisciplinary approach for clients across Texas and New Mexico.

21. JOE RAPIER NAMED PRESIDENT – 2006

Social_Images21

Joseph R. “Joe” Rapier joined PSC in 1991 as a project structural engineer after 10 years as a consulting engineer. In 2006, Joe became the firm’s fourth president, succeeding Clayton Yeager.

PSC would double in employee size (200 to 400) and in office locations (Five to 10) over the next 13 years under Rapier. The firm also embarked on establishing its current mission and values as well strategic initiatives that included the PSC Leadership Academy for the development of emerging professionals, and the Building Community Investment which has given back nearly $1.6 million to local communities.

“Building Community is making an impact on people’s daily lives through our professional efforts in the built environment and the personal commitment of PSC to improve our profession and our communities with our time, talent and treasure,” Rapier said.

He currently serves as the firm’s Director of Innovation and is the President of the Lubbock Reese Redevelopment Authority. Joe is the Immediate Past President of the Texas Society of Professional Engineers.

20. T-BAR WELL FIELD AND PIPELINE

Social_Images20

The T-Bar Well Field and Pipeline Project was once described by former City of Midland Mayor, Wes Perry, as “the biggest project the city of Midland has ever accomplished … and will provide a water supply for at least the next 40 years.”

This massive project was completed in 2013 and included 45 production wells, 67 miles of 58-inch pipeline, and 20 miles of 8-to-36-inch collection lines to provide Midland with water for many years. The project garnered national recognition, including Engineering News Record’s 2013 Best Projects in Texas & Louisiana Award of Merit, the Design-Build Institute of America’s Award of Merit, and Tnemec’s 2014 Tank of the Year.

19. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE EDUCATION ACTIVITY

Social_Images19

PSC has been working with the Department of Defense Education Activity consistently for the past 20 years and has been responsible for the design of multiple 21st Century schools in five countries. This experience has given PSC the expertise to establish the congressional budget/scope setting for multiple DoDEA school facilities worldwide.

PSC started working with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers continuously in the late 1980s. From 1999 to 2009, PSC worked with DoDEA on school re-roof projects, ceiling and HVAC replacements, asbestos building material removals, network cabling designs and minor additions.

In fall 2010, DoDEA convened a team of educators, architects, and even creative teams from Nike and Google to re-imagine designs for schools of the future. PSC had an active role with this group, and the result was new Educational Facility Design specifications that implement 21st Century Learning concepts. The implementation of these design concepts is currently ongoing at multiple DoDEA campuses as well as K-12 school districts PSC serves throughout Texas and New Mexico.

Recent projects including the award-winning Wiesbaden High School and Wiesbaden Elementary/Middle School in Germany and award-winning Fort Benning McBride Elementary School in Georgia. PSC continues to lead innovative thinking on K-12 facility design that incorporates numerous educational experiences learned with DoDEA.

18. HIGHER EDUCATION

Social_Images18

Colleges and universities are among the most fascinating environments in which design professionals work, as every institution has its own particular goals and challenges, programmatic needs, myriad issues ranging from student success to utilities, and each its own identity. Having a passionate, experienced team devoted to creating learning environments and student experiences that are both engaging and empowering is paramount.

PSC’s Higher Education – or HEd – design professionals bring specialized knowledge, planning, and design expertise to HEd college and university clients. Across PSC’s HEd Team, we live out our firm-wide mission of Building Community by creating inventive, relevant built environments in collaboration with the institutions that we are privileged to serve.

Highlighted HEd projects include TTU Jerry S. Rawls College of Business AdministrationHoward College San Angelo Campus ExpansionAbilene Christian University Money Student Recreation and Wellness CenterEl Paso Community College Culinary Arts Program Spaces,  El Paso Community College Rio Grande Class, Lab and GarageMidland College Dollye Neal Garden ChapelTexas State Technical College Abilene Industrial Tech Center.

17. BUILDING COMMUNITY INVESTMENT

Social_Images17 (1)

Parkhill, Smith & Cooper’s mission statement of Building Community reaches far beyond the vast amount of architecture and engineering projects. More than 400 employees use the company’s ventures and inspired contributions to transform the communities they work in and serve each and every day.

“With each project, we strive to build community with our clients, walking alongside them as we take up their mission and purpose,” said President and CEO Jay Edwards. “My hope is that we continue to move forward, going beyond the project by volunteering our time and resources to build every aspect of the communities we live in and serve.”

Since the program’s inception in 2015, PSC has donated more than $1.6 million to fund over 60 projects for community organizations around Lubbock, Abilene, Austin, Amarillo, El Paso, Frisco, Houston, Midland and New Mexico. PSC employees also volunteered close to 3,000 hours at local soup kitchens, canned food drives, and fundraisers to directly build community with the people in the organizations they help.

16. TEXAS SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF

Social_Images16

Following PSC completing a facilities and infrastructure assessment of the 533,000 GSF Texas School for the Deaf campus in Austin, the Texas Facilities Commission selected PSC to complete a multi-phased master plan to accommodate the campus’ anticipated growth from 500 to 700 students over the next decade. An innovative 3-D scan survey of the entire site resulted in 3.76 billion points of information collected across the more than 60-acre campus.

PSC also planned for flexibility in program and educational development through easily configurable spaces. To immerse themselves into the needs of the project and users, PSC engaged with TSD, attended the “Think Deaf Workshop” at Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C., to learn the spatial, interactive, and pedagogical needs of deaf students.

The 3-D Scan Survey project was one of the largest 3-D scans completed in Texas and won awards at the ACEC (Austin TX) & ACEC (Washington DC) – earning Gold Medal Winner for Texas and a National Recognition Award.

15. CITY OF LUBBOCK – 1947

Social_Images15

The City of Lubbock and PSC have partnered since PSC’s founding for decades of projects, starting with the main Pumping Station for Lubbock’s Water in the 1940s and including airport projects, municipal streets, public libraries, police/fire stations, municipal solid waste, drainage, and other municipal facilities and infrastructure projects.

Recent projects include the Northwest Lubbock Drainage Improvements, the Lubbock 34th Street Improvements street reconstruction, and numerous award-winning projects for the City of Lubbock. The South Central Lubbock Drainage Improvements was a national finalist in the ACEC (Washington DC) Engineering Excellence Awards. The Lubbock Caliche Canyon Cell IV Closure – ENG won ACEC (Austin TX) Silver Medal.

The Lubbock Lake Alan Henry Water Supply Planning which consisted of approximately 20 miles of treated water line across elevation changes and eight major road crossings and the Lubbock Lake Alan Henry WTP Design South Water Treatment Plant, a new state-of-the-art water treatment plant, finished water storage and high service pumping station, also won ACEC (Austin TX) awards.

14. SCHARBAUER SPORTS COMPLEX

Social_Images14

In the mid-1980s, Scharbauer Brothers & Company Inc. began development of 20,000 acres of their real estate holdings in Midland County located between the Midland City Limits and the Midland International Airport. PSC began working for SBC in 1986 and completed a flexible Master Land-Use Plan reflecting the City of Midland’s growth patterns, needs, and existing infrastructure and transportation corridors.

Development over time has taken the form of over 30 specific development projects, which to date encompass almost 3,000 acres of land. This land development consists of the Scharbauer Sports Complex, which includes a minor league baseball park, a UIL standard football/soccer stadium, a shared plaza, a maintenance facility, and a community center. Grande Communications Stadium is the 15,000-seat football & soccer stadium, and Security Bank Ballpark is the 5,000-seat professional AA baseball stadium and home of the Midland Rockhounds.

13. EL PASO OFFICE OPENS – 1958

Social_Images13

In 1958, Gordon Parkhill — one of PSC’s three founders — moved to El Paso to organize PSC’s second location at the Anson Mills Building in Downtown El Paso. Their current location is their fourth, occupying the historic Firestone Tire Company building, which the El Paso Electric Company converted into office space in the 1920s. Some of PSC’s first projects were with El Paso Water, and 60 years later, the office celebrates the many projects, lengthy relationships, and unique history PSC has built in El Paso.

12. K-12 EDUCATION

Social_Images12

Over the course of 75 years of continuous practice, PSC has grown to be a top 25-ranked K-12 design firm, nationally recognized for research, design, thought leadership and financial stewardship. From our West Texas roots, we have grown to serve public and private schools throughout Texas, across the nation, and overseas for the Department of Defense Education Activity.

PSC has helped more than 80 Texas School Districts pass and deliver bond projects over the past 15 years, utilizing its Metrics program to help maximize facility impact on learning and minimize facility cost-of-ownership. These projects have included the first LEED-certified school and first collaborative 21C school west of I-35, and the first school in the world to create an immersive experience that allows children to explore the history of the universe using computer vision and augmented reality.

Most importantly, PSC has had the privilege to work with educators to complement their talents and positively impact the lives of nearly one million students.

11. TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY – 1946

Social_Images11

Texas Tech and PSC have a long-standing relationship that go hand-in-hand together as both grew over the last 75 years. One of the earliest PSC engineering services for the university was the construction of Jones Stadium in 1946 and in 1959-60 when the east side of the grandstands were moved back in order to enlarge the stadium and convert it into a bowl-like structure.

This led to 80 more projects such as the TTU Master Plan, Library renovation, Southwest Collections Library, Rawls College of Business and addition, engineering for the United Supermarkets Arena and locker room renovations, College of Media and Communication renovation, John Walker Soccer Complex, Rawls Golf Course Clubhouse, BASF Seeds Innovation Center, and the Synthetic Turf Intramural Fields.

10. ATCHESON, CARTWRIGHT & ASSOCIATES MERGE WITH PSC – 1975

Social_Images10

James E. “Jimmy” Atcheson opened a one-man architecture firm in 1945, the same year PSC was established. He added Atmar Atkinson as a partner in 1950 and then Edward W. “Bill” Cartwright was named a partner in 1955. The firm became Atcheson, Atkinson, Cartwright and Rorex when the partners added Evelyn Rorex. Shortly after, PSC offered Bill and Jimmy a chance to join the firm, and in 1975 AACR split into two firms with Atcheson and Cartwright becoming a division of PSC.

Jimmy retired in 1978 and the firm still honored his name. Atcheson and Cartwright became AC Associates and absorbed into PSC’s name 7 years later. Signature projects include Monterey High School in Lubbock (1955), the Lubbock Federal Building in Lubbock (1971), Central Church of Christ in Amarillo (1981), and the Texas Tech Student Union Building (1951).

Fun Fact: AACR was one of the two biggest architecture firms in Lubbock. The other was called Brasher, Goyette and Rapier. The “Rapier” was the father of Joe Rapier, PSC’s fourth president.

9. HEALTHCARE

Social_Images9

Healthcare design has been a part of PSC since 1974. When PSC and Abilene-based Tittle Luther Partnership, LLP (TLP) merged in 2012, it gave PSC the resources to create a full, dedicated Healthcare Sector. Focusing on care environments allowed PSC to design solutions that support the patient. The Healthcare Sector will continue serving the key clients and look into ways to diversify and expand its services into new markets.

8. ABILENE OFFICE OPENS WITH TITTLE LUTHER MERGER – 2012

Social_Images8

In 2012, Tittle Luther Partnership, established in 1957, merged with PSC to create our Abilene office. TLP’s legacy for providing architecture and interior design services has since expanded to include civil, structural, electrical, and mechanical engineering as well as landscape architecture, sustainability, and ADA accessibility specialists since the merger. Our Abilene office currently resides in a three-story, historic house near the heart of downtown Abilene.

7. BENNETT REAVES NAMED PRESIDENT – 1971

Social_Images7

Herbert Bennett Reaves graduated from Big Spring High School in 1941 and worked summers in the maintenance crew at Cosden Refinery while attending Texas Tech. Reaves received his basic training in what was then called the Armored Force and was sent to engineering studies under the Army training program. In 1945 he was employed as a draftsman by the city engineer’s office in Big Spring. He received his Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering in 1948 while working as a part-time draftsman at PSC. He became a Resident Engineer in 1949 and Office Engineer in 1950. Reaves was promoted to Associate in 1955 before taking over as President in 1971.

6. BUDDY HOLLY HALL

Social_Images6

The Buddy Holly Hall of Performing Arts and Sciences will be a landmark cultural destination and will be the cultural hub of Lubbock and the cornerstone of downtown revitalization, in addition to fueling the economy for years to come. The Hall will be the future home of Ballet Lubbock, Lubbock Symphony Orchestra and Lubbock ISD Visual and Performing Arts. Buddy Holly Hall is a unique model not found anywhere else in the world. The state-of-the-art campus features two theaters, event space, a full-service bistro and a ballet academy under one roof.

The multi-functional facilities’ true innovation lies in its ability to be augmented for Broadway performances, orchestra, ballet, choral, conventions, touring musical performances, and many other purposes. PSC is the Architect of Record and working with 16 consultants on this 220,000 square-foot, $154 million project, lending its long-cultivated familiarity with the chosen contractor, local codes, local construction practices, and skills at coordinating and communicating with multiple consultants. PSC teamed with other firms to provide architectural, mechanical, electrical, and structural engineering services, while also providing site/civil services, landscape architecture, and interior design services.

16. TEXAS SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF

Social_Images16

Following PSC completing a facilities and infrastructure assessment of the 533,000 GSF Texas School for the Deaf campus in Austin, the Texas Facilities Commission selected PSC to complete a multi-phased master plan to accommodate the campus’ anticipated growth from 500 to 700 students over the next decade. An innovative 3-D scan survey of the entire site resulted in 3.76 billion points of information collected across the more than 60-acre campus.

PSC also planned for flexibility in program and educational development through easily configurable spaces. To immerse themselves into the needs of the project and users, PSC engaged with TSD, attended the “Think Deaf Workshop” at Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C., to learn the spatial, interactive, and pedagogical needs of deaf students.

The 3-D Scan Survey project was one of the largest 3-D scans completed in Texas and won awards at the ACEC (Austin TX) & ACEC (Washington DC) – earning Gold Medal Winner for Texas and a National Recognition Award.

15. CITY OF LUBBOCK – 1947

Social_Images15

The City of Lubbock and PSC have partnered since PSC’s founding for decades of projects, starting with the main Pumping Station for Lubbock’s Water in the 1940s and including airport projects, municipal streets, public libraries, police/fire stations, municipal solid waste, drainage, and other municipal facilities and infrastructure projects.

Recent projects include the Northwest Lubbock Drainage Improvements, the Lubbock 34th Street Improvements street reconstruction, and numerous award-winning projects for the City of Lubbock. The South Central Lubbock Drainage Improvements was a national finalist in the ACEC (Washington DC) Engineering Excellence Awards. The Lubbock Caliche Canyon Cell IV Closure – ENG won ACEC (Austin TX) Silver Medal.

The Lubbock Lake Alan Henry Water Supply Planning which consisted of approximately 20 miles of treated water line across elevation changes and eight major road crossings and the Lubbock Lake Alan Henry WTP Design South Water Treatment Plant, a new state-of-the-art water treatment plant, finished water storage and high service pumping station, also won ACEC (Austin TX) awards.

14. SCHARBAUER SPORTS COMPLEX

Social_Images14

In the mid-1980s, Scharbauer Brothers & Company Inc. began development of 20,000 acres of their real estate holdings in Midland County located between the Midland City Limits and the Midland International Airport. PSC began working for SBC in 1986 and completed a flexible Master Land-Use Plan reflecting the City of Midland’s growth patterns, needs, and existing infrastructure and transportation corridors.

Development over time has taken the form of over 30 specific development projects, which to date encompass almost 3,000 acres of land. This land development consists of the Scharbauer Sports Complex, which includes a minor league baseball park, a UIL standard football/soccer stadium, a shared plaza, a maintenance facility, and a community center. Grande Communications Stadium is the 15,000-seat football & soccer stadium, and Security Bank Ballpark is the 5,000-seat professional AA baseball stadium and home of the Midland Rockhounds.

13. EL PASO OFFICE OPENS – 1958

Social_Images13

In 1958, Gordon Parkhill — one of PSC’s three founders — moved to El Paso to organize PSC’s second location at the Anson Mills Building in Downtown El Paso. Their current location is their fourth, occupying the historic Firestone Tire Company building, which the El Paso Electric Company converted into office space in the 1920s. Some of PSC’s first projects were with El Paso Water, and 60 years later, the office celebrates the many projects, lengthy relationships, and unique history PSC has built in El Paso.

12. K-12 EDUCATION

Social_Images12

Over the course of 75 years of continuous practice, PSC has grown to be a top 25-ranked K-12 design firm, nationally recognized for research, design, thought leadership and financial stewardship. From our West Texas roots, we have grown to serve public and private schools throughout Texas, across the nation, and overseas for the Department of Defense Education Activity.

PSC has helped more than 80 Texas School Districts pass and deliver bond projects over the past 15 years, utilizing its Metrics program to help maximize facility impact on learning and minimize facility cost-of-ownership. These projects have included the first LEED-certified school and first collaborative 21C school west of I-35, and the first school in the world to create an immersive experience that allows children to explore the history of the universe using computer vision and augmented reality.

Most importantly, PSC has had the privilege to work with educators to complement their talents and positively impact the lives of nearly one million students.

11. TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY – 1946

Social_Images11

Texas Tech and PSC have a long-standing relationship that go hand-in-hand together as both grew over the last 75 years. One of the earliest PSC engineering services for the university was the construction of Jones Stadium in 1946 and in 1959-60 when the east side of the grandstands were moved back in order to enlarge the stadium and convert it into a bowl-like structure.

This led to 80 more projects such as the TTU Master Plan, Library renovation, Southwest Collections Library, Rawls College of Business and addition, engineering for the United Supermarkets Arena and locker room renovations, College of Media and Communication renovation, John Walker Soccer Complex, Rawls Golf Course Clubhouse, BASF Seeds Innovation Center, and the Synthetic Turf Intramural Fields.

10. ATCHESON, CARTWRIGHT & ASSOCIATES MERGE WITH PSC – 1975

Social_Images10

James E. “Jimmy” Atcheson opened a one-man architecture firm in 1945, the same year PSC was established. He added Atmar Atkinson as a partner in 1950 and then Edward W. “Bill” Cartwright was named a partner in 1955. The firm became Atcheson, Atkinson, Cartwright and Rorex when the partners added Evelyn Rorex. Shortly after, PSC offered Bill and Jimmy a chance to join the firm, and in 1975 AACR split into two firms with Atcheson and Cartwright becoming a division of PSC.

Jimmy retired in 1978 and the firm still honored his name. Atcheson and Cartwright became AC Associates and absorbed into PSC’s name 7 years later. Signature projects include Monterey High School in Lubbock (1955), the Lubbock Federal Building in Lubbock (1971), Central Church of Christ in Amarillo (1981), and the Texas Tech Student Union Building (1951).

Fun Fact: AACR was one of the two biggest architecture firms in Lubbock. The other was called Brasher, Goyette and Rapier. The “Rapier” was the father of Joe Rapier, PSC’s fourth president.

9. HEALTHCARE

Social_Images9

Healthcare design has been a part of PSC since 1974. When PSC and Abilene-based Tittle Luther Partnership, LLP (TLP) merged in 2012, it gave PSC the resources to create a full, dedicated Healthcare Sector. Focusing on care environments allowed PSC to design solutions that support the patient. The Healthcare Sector will continue serving the key clients and look into ways to diversify and expand its services into new markets.

8. ABILENE OFFICE OPENS WITH TITTLE LUTHER MERGER – 2012

Social_Images8

In 2012, Tittle Luther Partnership, established in 1957, merged with PSC to create our Abilene office. TLP’s legacy for providing architecture and interior design services has since expanded to include civil, structural, electrical, and mechanical engineering as well as landscape architecture, sustainability, and ADA accessibility specialists since the merger. Our Abilene office currently resides in a three-story, historic house near the heart of downtown Abilene.

7. BENNETT REAVES NAMED PRESIDENT – 1971

Social_Images7

Herbert Bennett Reaves graduated from Big Spring High School in 1941 and worked summers in the maintenance crew at Cosden Refinery while attending Texas Tech. Reaves received his basic training in what was then called the Armored Force and was sent to engineering studies under the Army training program. In 1945 he was employed as a draftsman by the city engineer’s office in Big Spring. He received his Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering in 1948 while working as a part-time draftsman at PSC. He became a Resident Engineer in 1949 and Office Engineer in 1950. Reaves was promoted to Associate in 1955 before taking over as President in 1971.

6. BUDDY HOLLY HALL

Social_Images6

The Buddy Holly Hall of Performing Arts and Sciences will be a landmark cultural destination and will be the cultural hub of Lubbock and the cornerstone of downtown revitalization, in addition to fueling the economy for years to come. The Hall will be the future home of Ballet Lubbock, Lubbock Symphony Orchestra and Lubbock ISD Visual and Performing Arts. Buddy Holly Hall is a unique model not found anywhere else in the world. The state-of-the-art campus features two theaters, event space, a full-service bistro and a ballet academy under one roof.

The multi-functional facilities’ true innovation lies in its ability to be augmented for Broadway performances, orchestra, ballet, choral, conventions, touring musical performances, and many other purposes. PSC is the Architect of Record and working with 16 consultants on this 220,000 square-foot, $154 million project, lending its long-cultivated familiarity with the chosen contractor, local codes, local construction practices, and skills at coordinating and communicating with multiple consultants. PSC teamed with other firms to provide architectural, mechanical, electrical, and structural engineering services, while also providing site/civil services, landscape architecture, and interior design services.

5. PSC IS INCORPORATED — 1963

Social_Images5

Parkhill, Smith & Cooper’s founders incorporated the business on Sept. 18, 1963, naming Gordon Parkhill the firm’s first President. Key completed projects at this time included the Lubbock County Buffalo Springs Reservoir Dam & Access Road, Odessa Elevated Storage Reservoir and Water Treatment Plant, and utilities for housing units at Fort Bliss. PSC began work that same year on the El Paso Water Haskell Street Water Treatment Plant — one of the pioneer re-use projects in the nation.

4. METHODIST HOSPITAL (COVENANT MEDICAL CENTER) – 1974

Social_Images4

Covenant Health serves 62 West Texas counties and 1.2 million people and is the largest health system in West Texas. PSC has partnered with Covenant since 1974, when it was still called Methodist Hospital, and became the lead designer for several Methodist projects in West Texas. When Methodist Hospital merged with St. Mary of the Plains in 1998, it expanded both facilities’ services to support the growth in the community.

“We felt like if we could merge those two hospitals, then we could provide state-of-the-art healthcare right here and keep people from having to go to Dallas or Houston or Phoenix or wherever they might choose to go,” said former Methodist board member, Danny Johnston.

Covenant and PSC have continued to build a strong working relationship by expanding services and addressing the growing need for healthcare and technological resources in the region through numerous projects. The two partnered in designing one of the first hybrid operating room spaces in the region, which introduced new technologies and ways of approaching surgery to support patient care. Currently, PSC is collaborating with Covenant and other design firms to bring a medically anchored mixed-use development to West Texas– the first of its kind in the region and among the first in the state.

3. MIDLAND AIR & SPACE PORT (MAF)

75th_Social_Images_3

The area in Midland currently home to Midland International Air & Space Port has had many names including Sloan Field until 1939 & Midland Army Air Field during WWII. The airport is also home to the Pliska Plane, the first airplane flown in Texas in 1911. This important element of Midland’s aviation history was incorporated into the new terminal which was completed in January 1999. PSC has developed a long-term, trusted-advisor relationship with Midland International Air & Space Port through numerous projects over the years including the master plan for the Spaceport Business Park prepared for the airport and the Midland Development Corporation.

2. GORDON WIGHT PARKHILL NAMED PRESIDENT IN 1963

75th_Social_Images_2

Gordon Wight Parkhill’s passion for the engineering world began in 1919, when he was a rodman-chainman for H.N. Roberts, Consulting Engineer, at Longview. His career took off after graduating from A&M College of Texas in 1924, including 10 years on the Civil Engineering staff at Texas Technological College while maintaining his consulting practice during the summers. He taught as Associate Professor until he joined the firm of Haynes & Strange, Parkhill, Voelcker & Dixon, Architects – Engineers. He helped develop airfields during WWII, resigning from the firm to enter military service as an officer and helping to create Parkhill, Smith & Cooper after the war ended. He was named the firm’s first president in 1963.

1. PSC IS ESTABLISHED IN 1945

75th_Social_Images_

Gordon W. Parkhill, Marlin R. Smith and Clarence Cooper formed a partnership after World War II and established a civil engineering firm in Lubbock, Texas in 1945. Parkhill and Smith graduated from Texas A&M University together in 1924. Parkhill then met Cooper while working together at another firm before the three partnered together to create Parkhill, Smith & Cooper- Consulting Engineers. The three promptly went to work and helped surrounding communities meet the demands of rapid development, which occurred after the war. Core services in municipal infrastructure became a mainstay of the firm.